2 lbs of boneless beef chuck (trimmed and cut into ¾ in pieces)
6 carrots (peeled and cut into ½ in pieces)
4 potatoes (diced into ½ in pieces)
2 onions (chopped)
Dried thyme /fresh thyme
Bay leaves (I prefer fresh)
4 – 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes (NOT drained)
1 bag frozen corn
beef stock (optional)
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add a swirl of Olive oil to the bottom of the pan, and brown beef briefly. Do it in batches so the beef caramelizes. Crowding the pan will result in steaming the beef instead.
- Add carrots, potatoes, onions, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. dried thyme, 2-4 bay leaves (2 dried or 4 fresh), tomatoes, 4 cups water (or 2 cups water, 2 cups beef stock).
- Cover and cook until beef is tender and vegetables are cooked through. (Check after 1 hour, continue cooking as needed.)
- Remove bay leaves and stir in frozen corn. Add fresh thyme and parsley before serving!
*This makes a huge batch of soup. I freeze individual servings and use them for quick lunches. I also serve it over noodles for the kids to get the pickier eaters to enjoy it, and to stretch it even farther!
As always, from "The Allergy Safe Kitchen, I wish you Good Cooking and Safe Eating"!