Saturday, November 15, 2014

Guest Blogger: Kathy Thornburg from Food Allergy Jams!



I have always enjoyed cooking, which you realize is a tremendous blessing when food allergies enter your family! I remember spending time in the kitchen with my mom as a child and learning by watching her and helping her prepare meals. She was always fearless with a frying pan! She wasn’t afraid of tackling a new recipe, which I have always admired.

Now that I have children of my own, it’s important to me to share my love for cooking and baking with them. I enjoy making memories with my son Milo (age 3) as we prepare dinner or a special snack together. He knows just what to do when I start to drag our long heavy bench up to the kitchen counter. Without missing a beat, he runs to his room, opens his dresser drawer, and grabs his oven mitts, apron, and chef hat.

As we cook together, we talk about the ingredients we are using, we read labels together, and we don’t worry too much if we make a little bit of a mess as we mix the ingredients together. 

My son loves to cook, but that’s not the only thing he enjoys. He LOVES music! When I was struggling to find an age appropriate way to teach Milo about his allergies, (peanuts, eggs, and dogs) I decided to try writing him a song. He loved our song, “No No Peanuts” and quickly memorized it and started singing it on his own. I continued to write, we continued to sing, and he continued to learn! Now, we are nearing the end of our journey on Kickstarter to fund a professional recording of our CD, Food Allergy Jams, with Kurt Heinecke (creator of VeggieTales music).


We have until Wednesday, November 19th at noon to reach our $35,000 goal to make our CD a reality! If you would like to learn more about our project and make a pledge to help us reach our goal, I encourage you to check out the link provided below. With your pledge, you not only get to choose from some great rewards, but you also get to go with us on this adventure of making our music CD come to life!


A big thanks to Beth and The Allergy Safe Kitchen for allowing me to write on her blog and for supporting Food Allergy Jams with a pledge on Kickstarter!





No comments:

Post a Comment