Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Kitchen Tip Tuesday! Recipe Organization


Part of living with food allergies, is the ever present challenge of learning to translate allergen laden recipes into something safe to eat.  I am a recipe junkie. (And I strongly encourage you to become one too!) I LOVE food magazines, other blogs, the Food Network, the Cooking Channel...need I go on?  I find a great many recipes that I want to "makeover," and so as I rip them out of magazines, or print them out, the issue becomes: What do I do with all this paper and all these ideas?!  


I have one kitchen cabinet devoted to some of my favorite cookbooks, and my recipe binders. The binders are my secret weapon against massive recipe clutter. I have them divided up as follows: 

  • Stocks/Soups/Stews 
  • Pasta
  • General Cooking Tips/Allergen Info
  • Dressings/Sauces/Drinks
  • Poultry/Pork/Beef; Desserts
  • Breakfasts/Breads
  • Sides/Appetizers/Kid Friendly
  • I have an additional "working binder" for recipes that I am in the middle of "making over." 




Each binder is full of page protectors, and the recipes move in and out easily as I work with them.  What ends up happening, is that the original recipes are eventually replaced with my own allergy friendly versions, so the content of each binder is constantly growing and evolving. 

I like to cut out the recipe and glue stick it to a piece of paper.  Then, I have all the room I need to make notes for the many iterations that each recipe goes through!

Don't forget to check out my cookbooks on Amazon! 

 As always, from The Allergy Safe Kitchen, I wish you "Good Cooking, and Safe Eating"!



4 comments:

  1. Such a great tip for all of those with tons of great recipes passed down on crumpled and stained pieces of paper....or maybe that's just me? Thanks for sharing!

    Amanda
    www.queenofthelandoftwigsnberries.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amanda! Some of those passed down recipes really are the best ones, aren't they? I have one for corned beef and cabbage, in my Grandmother's handwriting. Organizing those simple treasures helps me make sure they are getting used and appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is awesome. I definitely need to get my recipe book in order. I just got a bunch of family recipes from my grandma and I need to keep them safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Krista! Getting them organized will keep the legacy for the next generation!

      Delete