Saturday, February 25, 2012

Hearty, Sweet Sandwich Bread

My son was allergic to wheat for a long time.  Not being able to have soft white bread was tough.  We muddled through with rice bread, but let's be honest, it isn't the tastiest stuff! (There are a lot more options on the market now!)  I tried to make my own, but with an egg allergy and a dairy allergy to boot - gluten free baking became even more challenging. I gave up and started eating corn tortillas!

When he outgrew his wheat allergy I tried several egg free, dairy free bread recipes, and this one is sweet and dense and hearty.  It makes meal sized sandwiches, amazing cinnamon toast, and it's a great complement to any chili!  I remember the first time I made it, I just kept saying "This is the best bread EVER!" (I may have also been moaning with food pleasure!) I hope you enjoy it!

I served this bread tonight at a dinner party and it was a big hit!  YUM!


Ingredients:
2 cups water (110 degrees F) *It has to be warm enough to activate the yeast, but not so hot as to kill them!
2/3 cup white sugar
1 packet active dry yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
6 cups bread flour (If you'd like to add in some whole wheat, add 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour, and 4 1/2 cups of bread flour instead!)

Directions:

  1. In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar into the warm water and then sprinkle the yeast on top.  Let this sit (or "proof") until the yeast looks like a creamy foam.  (It usually takes about 15 minutes)
  2. Pour salt and oil into the yeast mixture and stir.
  3. Mix in the flour gradually.
  4. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter and knead until smooth
  5. Place in a well oiled bowl and coat the dough lightly with oil.
  6. Cover with a damp cloth and let it rise until it is doubled in size.  (About an hour and 15 minutes)
  7. Turn dough out of bowl and punch it down.  Knead for a few minutes and divide the dough in half. 
  8. Shape into loaves and place into two oiled loaf pans.
  9. Allow to rise for about 40 minutes.  (The dough should be above the edge of the pan)
  10. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 35 minutes. 


Remove the loaves from the pans after a few minutes and allow them to cool on a rack.  I can usually only hold myself back for about 15 minutes before I dig into one of those warm loaves and savor a slice!  The kids love it warm from the oven as well!  (When I serve it alongside a dinner, I slice a loaf  and heat it in the microwave for 20 seconds to get that "oven-warmth" back.) 




 As always, from The Allergy Safe Kitchen, I wish you "Good Cooking, and Safe Eating"!




3 comments:

  1. Silly question but what kind of loaf pans do you use? Metal? Stoneware? Silicone? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and BTW the bread was DELICIOUS!!!! You should post a picture for your readers of how beautiful it looked all sliced up and presented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I make it I'll do just that; I forgot to take a picture before we dug in! :) I'm glad you all enjoyed it!

      I have glass pans and two kinds of metal pans (dark non-stick, and "regular") I actually prefer the standard, regular metal pans that I bought at the grocery store, the "cheapies". I don't get as much overcooking with them and as long as I oil them well before putting the dough in, I've never had a problem with sticking. The dark metal pans almost always overcook the very bottom of the bread, and the glass pans are heavier, so I don't get them out as much!

      Delete