*This recipe is peanut-free, tree nut-free, dairy-free, egg-free, fish-free, and shellfish-free. As always, check this ingredient list and your local products to make sure that this recipe is allergy safe for your family and/or friends!
4-5 TBSP bacon fat
4 finely diced onions
6-8 cloves of garlic
8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 28oz. cans San Marzano tomatoes
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1 cup orzo or ditalini pasta
2 TBSP corn starch mixed with 2 TBSP cold flax milk
2 tsp Kosher salt
1. In a large Dutch oven, heat the bacon fat. Add onions and cook
on medium-low until soft and just golden. 10-15 minutes,
stirring occasionally. Add garlic and crushed red pepper flakes,
and cook for one more minute, just until garlic becomes fragrant.
2. Before adding in San Marzano tomatoes, break them up by hand
in separate bowl. Then add to the Dutch oven along with the
chicken stock and salt.
3. Bring the soup to a boil and lower the heat. Simmer for 15
4. While soup is simmering, bring a medium pot of water to a boil
and cook pasta for 7 minutes.
5. Drain pasta and add to soup.
6. Cook for 8 more minutes, stirring frequently.
7. Make the slurry of corn starch and flax milk in a small cup. Stir
into the soup and continue to cook for 2-3 more minutes.
Serve with toast for dipping, or oyster crackers. Or, if you want to be classic, make a grilled "cheese" sandwich with Follow Your Heart Vegan Mozzarella Cheese! (use olive oil in place of bacon fat for a vegan soup)
I'm telling you, the balance of the smokiness from the bacon fat, the richness of the San Marzano tomatoes, and the small bit of heat from the crushed red pepper flakes will have you going back for seconds! Enjoy!