Monday, March 9, 2015

Pork "Ropa Vieja"

Picture this: It was a chilly morning, I had defrosted 2 pork loins and had no meal plan for them. I was casually scrolling down my Instagram feed, (Whaaat?!  You don't follow me on Instagram yet? Click here and follow!) and lo and behold, there appeared Clinton Kelly's Ropa Vieja slow cooker recipe. Jackpot. My little guy is allergic to beef, which the recipe calls for, but I was pretty sure I could achieve familial culinary satisfaction by using pork. I was right! As it bubbled away in the slow cooker, children would wander in, drooling, and ask hopefully "Is that dinner?" 



By ingredients, this Pork Ropa Vieja recipe is peanut-free, tree nut-free, dairy-free, egg-free, fish-free, wheat free, gluten free, soy free, and shellfish-free. Top 8 Allergen Free! As always, check the ingredient list and your local products to make sure that this recipe is allergy safe for your family and/or friends! 

My instructions and tips regarding this recipe:
  • I doubled recipe, using two slow cookers, and substituted pork for beef. 
  • If you are nervous about purchasing ground cumin because of the recall, click HERE for my tutorial about grinding your own.
  • I served the Ropa Vieja over rice for dinner, and with tortillas for lunch the following day. 
  • By doubling the recipe, I was able to get two full meals for my family, AND a 4 cup freezer-container-ful for a convenient meal another time! 
  • Get your kids helping with this recipe by having them measure spices, slice the bell peppers, slice onions, open the cans of tomatoes, and coat the raw meat with the spice mixture.  They can also layer the ingredients in the slow cooker.  (Only give slicing jobs to children who are able to safely manage a knife. Nylon knives are great for training children how to cut while maintaining safety!) 
Why should your food allergic children learn how to cook? 
Click HERE for more information! 





Don't forget to check out my cookbooks on Amazon!




 As always, from The Allergy Safe Kitchen, I wish you "Good Cooking, and Safe Eating"!

No comments:

Post a Comment