Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Kitchen Tip Tuesday! Mushroom Stock

I love to use Cremini mushrooms in dishes, but I'm always left with a pile of fragrant, woody stems. So, what to do with all this rich smelling bounty?  Make Mushroom Stock of course!




I hate food waste.  I really like to know that I am making the most out of the food that I purchase to feed my family.  Those woody stems make a lovely, deep tasting stock in a very short amount of time.  Just toss the stems into a saucepan, add a few cups of water, and let simmer for an hour or two, reduce by half.  If you want to get fancy, you can add some chopped carrots, onions, and a sprig of thyme, but really, just mushrooms and water will yield tasty results! Strain through a coffee filter to make sure there isn't any dirt or grit in the stock.  Give the mushroom stems a squeeze too, they hold a lot of liquid! 

So...now what?  What should you do with this secret culinary weapon?  

  • Use in place of vegetable stock
  • Make risotto 
  • Add to beef or turkey gravy to deepen the flavor
  • Add to beef stock in any beef based soup
  • Make a pan sauce after sauteing chicken, turkey cutlets, steaks
  • Get creative, use this stock as a flavor booster!
Don't forget to check out my cookbooks on Amazon! 

 As always, from The Allergy Safe Kitchen, I wish you "Good Cooking, and Safe Eating"!

No comments:

Post a Comment