Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Kitchen Tip Tuesday! Reduce waste: Parsley Stems


The grocery budget in a food allergy home can often be a bit overwhelming, so I love making use of every possible part of a food item!  Most people just toss out their parsley stems, but I have news for you: they have flavor! Don't waste them!


At least once a week, there's a big stock pot of stock bubbling away on my stove top, or in a crock pot.  I keep veggie scraps in zip top bags in the freezer so I can toss in items for extra flavor anytime, without making a special shopping trip for ingredients.  One item that I often add to my stock: parsley stems.  

The sisters are all picking parsley leaves for Tangy Black-eyed Pea Salad. (Click HERE for recipe!)

As we use up the bunch of parsley here and there, I just add the stems to the bag in the freezer. Then, when I make stock, I just toss a few in! 

Finely chopped parsley stems can also be a tasty addition anywhere that you might use raw celery, such as in tuna salad, or chicken salad.  Great flavor, and great crunchy texture! 

Don't forget to check out my cookbooks on Amazon! 



 As always, from The Allergy Safe Kitchen, I wish you "Good Cooking, and Safe Eating"!

No comments:

Post a Comment