Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Dairy Free Creamed Corn

Have I got a simple one for you!!  This Dairy Free Creamed Corn has ONE main ingredient: corn.

This dish was a huge hit with my kids. The CSA we joined this summer gives us anywhere from 24-36 ears of corn a week.  My oldest son LOVES corn on the cob, and has just recently gotten braces. (You can see where this is going, can't you?)  I needed to find a way to utilize large quantities of corn AND allow my sad kiddo to partake in the bounty.  Enter: Dairy-free Creamed Corn. 



*Usually there is an allergen statement here. So, here it goes:  this recipe contains nothing but corn. Ok, a little salt too...



Ingredients and Directions:
  1. Shuck 8 cobs of corn and cut off all the kernels into a large bowl.  
  2. Then flip your knife to the dull side, and "milk" the cob. Simply press the back edge of the knife down the cob, turning after each pass, to get all the liquid and corny goodness it has to offer.  
  3. Place all the corn, and liquid, from all 8 cobs in a saucepan. 
  4. Add a 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook on medium for 15 minutes, stirring often.  
  5. Then, remove 1 1/2 cups of the corn to a Vitamix (or other equally as awesome blender).  Blend until smooth, and add back into the pan with the remaining corn.  

I served the Dairy-Free Creamed Corn with grilled pork tenderloin and roasted pee wee potatoes.  I will admit, that I got a little wild and crazy, adding in a small dollop of  Soy Free Earth Balance Spread while the corn was still piping hot, just to make sure that my son got the full "corn on the cob" taste!  

Bonus Tip:
Enjoy and remember, eating allergy safe doesn't have to be super difficult all the time!  This is such an easy side!  In order to set myself up for success throughout the year, I've been freezer preserving the corn from the CSA.  First, blanch the corn on the cob (shucked) for 4 minutes. Shock it in ice water.
Then, cut it off the cobs (8 at a time), milk the cobs, and store the corn and liquid in freezer bags!  When you need a quick and delicious side dish, defrost a bag of your corn, cook it in a saucepan, and follow the rest of the process to make Dairy-free Creamed Corn.  A little work now, makes an easy dinner later!  



 As always, from The Allergy Safe Kitchen, I wish you "Good Cooking, and Safe Eating"!


Photo Credit: Aidan Van Horn

No comments:

Post a Comment