Saturday, December 6, 2014

Ian's Onion Rings - Review

I became aware of Ian's Natural Foods when I attended The Food Allergy Bloggers Conference. What impressed me most about this brand was the variety of MEAL offerings.  There are a lot of food allergy focused companies specializing in snacks, desserts, safe baking items, etc.  But, few focus on providing a kid friendly, busy-mom-friendly, simple meal.

Our family received a box of products from Ian's for review. I'll be honest, Ian's scored points with the kids right away - the cooler was packed with dry ice.  Well now, a homeschooling family can't let that opportunity go to waste, right?  Once we opened the box, we spent a good half hour making fog and talking about sublimation. Bonus!  Thanks Ian's!






This review will focus on Ian's Onion Rings

Pros: Ian's Onion Rings are wheat free, gluten free, soy free, milk/casein free, peanut/tree nut free, and egg free!  The instructions were clear and easy to follow, (we cooked them in the oven) and I was able to get them on the table quickly, with little fuss. The rings themselves were golden, crunchy, generously sized, and all seven of my children liked them!  The vote was unanimous! We ate them for lunch, and my six year old was trying to orchestrate a trip to the grocery store so we could eat the onion rings for dinner too. I can envision not only serving Ian's Onion Rings as a side for lunch or dinner, but also as a topping our Kicked Up Sloppy Joe's, or adding crunch to a ham sandwich along with some lettuce and tomato.  Part of me wishes that I would have saved them to use on top of my dairy-free Green Bean casserole at Thanksgiving. 


Cons: While my local grocery store carries nine different Ian's products, the onion rings are not one of them.  I'll be submitting a request to the frozen foods department, and hopefully they will add these onion rings to the Ian's items they already stock. I am happy to update that they now carry Ian's Onion Rings! The only other con is a bit "larger-family-specific". The package of Ian's Onion Rings has about 4 servings, of approximately 5 onion rings each.  Certainly an appropriate serving size, but I would love it if there was a larger sized bag available (possibly with a resealable zip top?).  Not only would it be great for larger families, but also for families with teenagers and their LARGE appetites! 



Bottom Line:  Great product!  Convenient, tasty, and safe for my family. The kids loved it, and I can think of many ways to utilize Ian's Onion Rings as a stand alone side, or an ingredient in other dishes. I hope that our grocery store starts carrying them soon! 


If you want to learn more about Ian's Onion Rings, and the whole line of allergy friendly Ian's Natural Foods, click HERE to visit their website! 

Don't forget to check out my cookbooks on Amazon! 



 As always, from The Allergy Safe Kitchen, I wish you "Good Cooking, and Safe Eating"!

No comments:

Post a Comment