Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Kitchen Tip Tuesday! - Storing Diced Onions

When it comes to being efficient in the kitchen, I'm a big proponent of "Need it twice, chop it once." Often, I'll chop not only the veggies I need for the meal at hand, but also for the next day's fare. One item though, has destroyed flavors in my fridge more than once (cue dramatic music)...the Onion.

Even double bagging a chopped onion doesn't contain that strong flavor, or keep it from seeping into more delicately flavored food housed alongside of it.  But, if I can, I want to avoid crying over my cutting board two days in a row.  So here's what I came up with:


You'll need:
1 quart sized zip top bag
1 gallon sized sip top bag
Baking soda

Slice, dice, chop your onions. Take the portion you need to save for the next day, and place it in the quart sized zip top bag.  Seal the bag.  Place the closed quart sized bag into the gallon sized bag along with 1 Tablespoon baking soda.  Tightly close the gallon sized bag, shake the whole thing about a bit, and refrigerate! This will keep your fridge stink-free until you use the onions the next day! 

Don't forget to check out my cookbooks on Amazon! 

 As always, from The Allergy Safe Kitchen, I wish you "Good Cooking, and Safe Eating"



No comments:

Post a Comment