Friday, November 7, 2014

Veggetti Review


I have been eyeing this product for a while now.  I'll be honest, my initial reasons had nothing to do with food allergies, I just was looking for a way to cut down on carbs...my clothes are feeling a little tight. In a family of nine, pasta is an inexpensive weekly meal, but I was looking for something lighter for myself.  However, this is a way to have gluten free "spaghetti," and to get lots of good nutrition in any "free from" diet. This week, I took the plunge and tested out this kitchen gadget! Today's review: The Veggetti!

I used the recommended veggies: yellow squash, zucchini, and carrots, to make a veggie pasta.  I sauteed some garlic, leeks, peppers, tomatoes, and steamed baby broccoli in extra virgin olive oil, and added those to my veggie pasta. I also heated up some homemade spaghetti sauce to entice the reluctant veggie eaters. Here are my pros and cons:



Pros:  Easy to use, clear instructions.  My nine year old daughter, and 7 year old son both really wanted to try it, and they were able to manage it just fine.  Anything that helps to get allergy kids cooking deserves points in my book! The yellow squash and the zucchini ended up in colorful ribbons of veggie pasta.  Very appealing to the eye! The cooking time was short, I simply sauteed the veggie pasta in a skillet with extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt, and black pepper. 

The end result was tasty, and surprisingly filling!  I loved it, as did my husband.  



The Veggetti is small, and easily stored in my cabinet. 

Cons: Although the yellow squash and zucchini worked beautifully, the carrots did not.  We couldn't get a nice strip of carrot noodle, it ended up looking like shredded carrots, but was more frustrating.  (My daughter thinks our carrots were too skinny, and we should try thicker ones next time. Duly noted.) The kids' opinions ranged from "Just ok" to "Don't serve this again." 

One last con - more of a caution, really, is that although the kids had no trouble using it, there are exposed blades, so close parental supervision is a must. 




So, here's my bottom line:  The end result, the Veggetti pasta, was a hit for the adults, and so-so for most of the kids.  Instead of trying to serve it as a meal to the family, next time, I will use the Veggetti to create a side dish for the kids (main meal for me, I still need my clothes to fit better!) I'm happy with my purchase, and I'll be using it again.  


To purchase a Veggetti for your family, click HERE!

*Please read all labels when purchasing products for your food allergic family and friends, to ensure that the product meets your allergy needs.  



 As always, from The Allergy Safe Kitchen, I wish you "Good Cooking, and Safe Eating"!

No comments:

Post a Comment