Sunday, November 9, 2014

Hosting Thanksgiving: Homemade and Allergy Safe

My family, my inspiration for all my recipes.  For them, I give thanks. 

We gather around the table.  We give thanks.  Family and friends bond over the breaking of bread and the sharing of bounty. May we have another year of plenty. Amen.

Every person should be able to share in a delicious meal with their family and friends without fear or anxiety over food allergies and restrictions. 

I have found that I, as a food allergy mom, have less anxiety and more enjoyment of the holidays when I host the meal.  I know it seems like hosting can be a lot of work, and it is, but it allows control over the ingredients, and the kitchen in which the dishes are prepared.  And that, to me, is worth any effort - to know that my children are safe and can relax around the the table. No worries over Aunt Gertrude planting a big kiss on my dairy allergic pre-schooler after eating cheese laden potatoes, or over someone mixing up the serving spoons between safe and unsafe side dishes.  No relatives concerned that they have done something "wrong" or dangerous." No cross-contamination to be concerned over, no constant watching over my shoulder to keep an eye on the faces and mouths of my children...looking to spot the first signs of redness or swelling.  When I take the menu, preparation, and venue into my own hands, the result is more relaxing for everyone.  

I have found great joy and peace in hosting the holidays in our home.  The kitchen is filled with delectable smells for days, the children help with the preparation of the food, the decorating of the table, and the creation of crafts to adorn the dining room.  It can be a beautiful time for the whole family.  It can also be overwhelming and a LOT of work! And let's be honest, not everyone in the family has the same idea of "tidy" when it comes to preparing the living room for company!  But even considering all of that, the joy of hosting a safe meal is greater. 

Stick with me over the next couple weeks, as I lead you through making dishes ahead of time, so your actual Thanksgiving eve, and day, can be enjoyable and safe!  

Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and by e-mail to keep up to date with all the Thanksgiving preparations that are happening in The Allergy Safe Kitchen.  (Go to the top of the blog, the link buttons are all there! Don't forget to follow by email for grocery lists ahead of time, and additional tips and tricks!)  

Here are the links to the dishes and recipes I've shared already: 




 As always, from The Allergy Safe Kitchen, I wish you "Good Cooking, and Safe Eating"!



No comments:

Post a Comment