Friday, November 14, 2014

Sunbutter Review

Today, I am reviewing SunButter sunflower seed butter.  I received some in my swag from the Food Allergy Bloggers Conference, but we also purchase SunButter frequently on our own. 



First I'm going to start with a little story.  My husband and I both loved peanut butter.  One of my specialties used to be a wickedly decadent peanut-butter cream pie, with a chocolate and rice krispie crust...I'll just pause for a moment while you salivate.  

When we went cold turkey after my son was diagnosed with peanut allergies, it took a loooooong time for us to find something to fill that void.  We tried quite a few "butters" that really didn't taste very good.  After tasting one of them, (which shall remain nameless), my husband looked at me and said, "Please don't buy any more of these.  Give up.  Please."   So, I did.  Until I heard about one called "SunButter."  I'm going to be honest, I don't remember who recommended it to me all those years ago, but if it was you - THANK YOU!  

I brought some home, opened the jar and inhaled the roasted scent, startled that it smelled so good. My husband and I actually ate it with spoons, right out of the jar, standing in the kitchen, moaning. True story. 



So now that I've got you on the edge of your seat, wondering what kind of review I'll give SunButter...

Pros:  Peanut free, tree nut free, gluten free, dairy free, and egg free.  Here's a direct quote from their website: 
"Processed in a strictly nut-free facility (Our employees aren't even allowed to bring in peanut butter sandwiches for lunch!)"It's a direct substitute for peanut butter - in baking, and in daily life. Sandwiches, on crackers, on a spoon, using an Enjoy Life chocolate bar to scoop it out of the jar...(NOT that I would EVER do something like that...especially during pregnancy...ahem, back to the review). 

Cons: Just one - Cost.  This stuff is pricey. As a family of nine, we go through a lot of SunButter, but it does impact the food budget. You can order it online, in regular jars, and in a 5 pound size.  You can save a little bit by purchasing it that way.  

Bottom line: Our family loves SunButter so much, that several of the recipes in my first cookbook feature SunButter as a key ingredient. It is a staple in our pantry, and I still sometimes eat it from a spoon straight out the jar, in the middle of the kitchen.  (And so do my kids!) If you're craving a nutty tasting peanut butter replacement, go get some SunButter!  It comes in several varieties; we typically use Natural, and Crunch



Chocolate Layer Cake with SunButter frosting! Recipes
for both components of this cake are in my first cookbook
"Love Letters from My Kitchen"

Chocolate SunButter Krispie No Bakes....This recipe is in my 
mini-cookbook: 12 Cookies of Christmas (Vegan edition also available!)

For information on the full line of SunButter products, click HERE to visit their website!


 As always, from The Allergy Safe Kitchen, I wish you "Good Cooking, and Safe Eating"!


No comments:

Post a Comment